Translate

Mission Competition

Top Money Saving and Comping Tips from a 21 year-old Student keen to make my limited budget stretch the semester!

Follow me on Twitter:@LaurieBeat and Instagram: @lornab22 or email any queries to lauriebeat@gmail.com

Join the Facebook group for more tips and a comping community!

Luck and love!

Thursday 27 September 2018

The Return of the Lost Comper....



Hello! Long time no speak. In fact, I just checked and my last prize unboxing was September 2017: a whole year ago!

Let's begin by addressing the fact that I (digitally) disappeared for a year. Basically, life got in the way of comping, however, I now sit before you as the proud owner of a 2:1 degree in Geography from the University of Glasgow. This is something that 4 years ago seemed totally impossible for me to achieve, having had to leave the University of St. Andrews due to an eating disorder. Going into my final year of university, I knew that a couple of things would have to take a back seat, and sadly, comping was one of these things.

However, I am now hoping to prove something that I always used to say back in my blogging days: comping is such an amazing hobby because you can dip in and out of it! Sometimes it can feel a little overwhelming to have a list of competitions in front of you and trudge through them until your back is hunched and your eyes ache. So stop. If you need a break from comping, just pause, competitions will still exist when you get back. And if, like me, you suddenly have something else taking up all your time (a new house, a degree, a baby etc), then take a break from comping! In truth, I feel so much more ready to get stuck in with comping because I took such a long hiatus. Yes, every so often I would enter an Instagram competition (something in my core won't let me ignore the word 'win') but I was not seeking out competitions and my comping Twitter was inactive for a whole year.

And what am I doing with my life now, I hear no one ask. Well, let me tell you anyway. I am currently starting an internship with the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust in North Yorkshire, a beautiful part of the country. This will be 4 days a week, allowing me to dedicate some time to comping and this ol' blog here. I hope you guys are just as excited to join me on this adventure back into comping, and that I'm not just nattering away to myself.

So what are  my plans to break back into this wonderful world gently? Here are my 5 aims for my first month back (October 2018):

1. Film a prize unboxing

For me, knowing that people will be looking at the items that I have won really encourages me to actually have something to open in front of the camera. It's not much of an unboxing without any boxes is it?

2. Seek out prizes I want to win

Following on from point 1 though, I am not wanting to just enter any old competition. Something that has changed this last year is that I have become a lot more environmentally aware. Comping can be very wasteful if not done correctly. I am planning on only entering competitions for items I really want or that I know other people in my life will use.

3. Start seeking out Christmas presents

It is never too early. Trust me. Two years ago I paid nothing for Christmas presents because I started early and won a combination of person-specific gifts and vouchers that I could then spend on items for people.

4. Be patient

When talking to comping newbies, I always say it's so important to be patient when starting out at comping. I may have a head start with my experience, however I know that I cannot just start winning the same amount that I was before. Good things come to those who wait (and comp).

5. Communicate

Now that I'm back into comping and blogging I really hope my comping family will be behind me. My Facebook group 'Mission Competition' has been kept going by the wonderful Neill Johnstone in my absence, and so I will be using it as well as running it as I get back into comping.

Leave me a comment below to let me know if you've ever taken a break from comping and any tips/encouragement for my journey back.

Luck and Love, 

Lorna xx

9 comments:

  1. Nice to see you back and well Lorna! Congrats on your 2:1 too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new job- it sounds perfect for you & such a beautiful part of the world 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back and congrats on your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed your unboxing and posts ! Welcome back x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible achievements, well done! I hope you enjoy the internship, it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many congratulations on your degree and internship! Good luck with the comping and I look forward to seeing your unboxing posts soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to have you back - lots of luck, and well done on the degree!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your degree. It really is so important to have a healthy comp/life balance - mine has totally gone off track in the past so it is something I am very aware of. I can't ignore the word 'win' either so I've kept going with instagram but not really on any other social media channels. I really lost my mojo back in 2015 when T was first diagnosed with JIA - hospital appointments just took over but gradually as life with JIA became the norm, I fitted some comping back into my life. Will start to keep an eye out for those peanut butter comps for you again! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. pg slot pg wallet ทรูมันนี่ วอลเล็ทเป็นแอปพลิเคชัน ที่ให้บริการที่หลากหลาย ครอบคลุมทุกการใช้แรงงาน สล็อต สามารถใช้จ่ายแทนเงินสดได้ตามร้านค้าชั้นแนวหน้าทั่วๆไป และสนุกสนานกับเกมสล็อตออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete