Prep Time: 15 - 20 minutes
Cooking Time: Around 8 hours
Luckily enough, there is a solution to both these problems - make the burgers yourself. I know, big shock, but being a student does not mean you cannot cook. In fact, I love it! It will save you money and be good for your health, win-win! You don't need to miss out on the social side either, invite your friends round and recreate that burger restaurant in your own kitchen, and add yet another pop-up burger bar to your city.
- 2 red onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- Extra veg: mushrooms, carrots, peas (optional)
- Apple chunks are an amazing addition
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Lo-Salt (which has 66% less sodium than normal salt)
- Spices (I like mine mild, but spices are a great way to add flavour without extra salt, so add more or less to personal taste)
- 1 tablespoon each of cayenne pepper and paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin and cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 pork shoulder, fat trimmed off (one of the cheapest cuts of meat you can get)
- 2 cups barbecue sauce (optional)
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup (optional)
- Thinly slice the onions and garlic and lay across the bottom of the slow cooker before pouring over the stock and extra veg (if using).
- Combine the spices, sugar and Lo-Salt in a bowl and rub the mixture over the pork.
- Lay the pork in the slow cooker
- Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low (basically until the pork can be pulled apart easily with a fork)
- Take off the heat and strain the contents of the slow cooker, being sure to keep the liquid that you pour out.
- Shred the pork using a fork, and discard any fat.
- Add the solids back into the slow cooker and mix in the BBQ sauce and ketchup (if using) and small amounts of the drained liquid (skim the fat from the top first) until the pork is just moist.
- (You can just use the drained liquid if you are avoiding processed sauces)
Enjoy your tastier, healthier and cheaper burgers, and let me know how you got on in the comments below!