Translate

Mission Competition

Top Money Saving and Comping Tips from a 21 year-old Student keen to make my limited budget stretch the semester!

Follow me on Twitter:@LaurieBeat and Instagram: @lornab22 or email any queries to lauriebeat@gmail.com

Join the Facebook group for more tips and a comping community!

Luck and love!

Monday 16 May 2016

Make Your Own Granola: Money Saving Recipe



I am one of those people who just love breakfast. In fact, I could quite happily have breakfast for lunch and dinner too! In my opinion, one of the best things about staying at a hotel is the all you can eat breakfast in the morning! When I was recently at one of these, I discovered a new breakfast: fruit, natural yogurt and granola. A fairly healthy, yet filling, breakfast. However, when I got back home I was shocked to see just how much granola costs! Surely you would be cheaper to make your own? After a bit of research, I found the cheapest way to make your own granola:

Ingredients:

- 400g Supermarket Value Muesli (choose one with lots of fruit and nuts (11.8p/100g) )
- 150g Clear Honey (29p/100g)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla (90p a bottle)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (9.5p/100ml)
- extra dried fruit to taste (sultanas - 16.8p/100g)
- 2 tablespoons Peanut Butter (optional) (18.2p/100g)

(all prices correct at time of writing and from Asda)

Method:

- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl
- Spread onto a greased baking tray (easier with grease proof paper)
- Bake at 150C or gas mark 2 for 10 - 15 min
- Take out and give it a good shake
- If you want to form clusters (the best bit in my opinion) carefully use a spoon to form some of the pieces into balls, as the honey should be runny and sticky at this stage. If the oats are not sticking, try adding some water.
- Bake for a further 10 min
- Leave to cool (if you can resist) and store in an airtight container



I worked out that this cost me about £1.20 to make, and a lot of the ingredients I already had in the house. This is around half the price of the ones in the shop, is so much fun to make, and you know exactly what is going into it and can adapt it to taste.

I hope you have fun making this recipe, comment below how you got on!


No comments:

Post a Comment